A family in India has been left absolutely devastated after their 3-year-old twin boys accidentally drowned inside a washing machine at home.
According to the Indian Express, the two little boys, boys, named Nishant and Nakshya, had only been left alone for a few minutes when the tragic accident happened.
The children’s parents reportedly spent more than 30 minutes searching for them at their home in Rohini, Delhi, before discovering their bodies on Saturday.
The boys’ mother, Rakhi, had reportedly filled the washing machine earlier that day before leaving the twins to play on their own around 12:30 p.m.
According to the Hindustan Times, the mother had left the home for just a moment to buy some detergent.
When Rakhi returned home about “six minutes later,” she could not find the boys and a neighbor immediately called the police.
The children’s father, Ravinder, reportedly rushed home to help look for the children and soon found them in the washing machine.
“Mr Ravinder immediately took the children to a nearby family hospital where doctors declared them dead,” a senior police official told IANS news agency. “Shocked father could not believe and took [the children] to Jaipur Golden Hospital where doctors declared them dead.”
The mother later told investigators that she left a pile of clothes next to the washing machine.
According to The Independent, police believe the children may have climbed on top of the clothes to get on top of the washing machine.
“It appears that one of the kids first climbed the heap [of clothes] to see what was inside the machine and fell inside head on,” MN Tiwari, the deputy commissioner of police in Rohini, said. “The second child must have followed his brother. Since both of them fell head on, they were choked. There was no way they could have come out.”
The couple’s third child, who is 10 years old, was reportedly at school at the time of the incident and did not see what happened.
“The family is inconsolable,” a senior police officer told NDTV.
According to the Indian Express, the children’s bodies have been sent in for an autopsy, but investigators have found absolutely no evidence of foul play.
Authorities say it appears that the boys, who had apparently just undressed for a bath, could not move once they fell inside the machine.
“They came into this world naked, they have left naked,” the children’s grandmother reportedly said.